A Farewell to Arms: The Hemingway Library Edition

A Farewell to Arms: The Hemingway Library Edition - Ernest Hemingway, Seán Hemingway, Patrick Hemingway, Sean Hemingway Arrgh! My review got lost! Trying again.

I had never read Hemingway before this, and wasn't sure I would like him, but when this special edition of A Farewell to Arms came out, I decided to try it.

I still can't say whether I really like him or not. His style is not really my thing: the terse, spare prose, unemotional even when he's writing about emotions, it all makes the settings and especially the characters very flat for me. Catherine Barkley is little more than a paper cutout doll - her dialogue is vapid, self-centred, and riddled with insecurities and demands for validation and declarations of love. Henry is a cipher to me: he talks about his feelings for things, but I don't ever have the sense that he actually HAS feelings. The terseness makes the narrative parts of the book feel like a slow, droning insect in my mind's ear, so to speak. I"m sure Hemingway would not approve of that description, either.

Anyway, I'm still not sure if I like him or not. Maybe I'll give another of his books a chance at some point, but it's not at the top of my priority list.